Re: APT do not work with Squid as a proxy because of pipelining default

Marvin Renich <mrvn@renich.org> writes:

> * Robert Collins <robertc@robertcollins.net> [100517 17:42]:
>> Due to the widespread usage of intercepting proxies, its very hard, if
>> not impossible, to determine if a proxy is in use. Its unwise, at
>> best, to assume that no proxy configured == no proxy processing your
>> traffic :(.
>>
>> -Rob
>
> IANADD, but if I had filed bug #565555, I would have selected severity
> critical ("makes unrelated software on the system break"), and similarly
> for any other transparent proxy in Debian that fails to work
> transparently.
>
> The proxy may not be on a Debian system, but wouldn't the following
> logic in apt catch enough of the problem cases to be a useful
> workaround:
>
>     If Acquire::http::Pipeline-Depth is not set and Acquire::http::Proxy
>     is set, use 0 for Pipeline-Depth; use current behavior
>     otherwise.
>
> Documenting this problem somewhere that an admin would look when seeing
> the offending "Hash sum mismatch" message would also help.  Turning off
> pipelining by default for everybody seems like the wrong solution to
> this problem.
>
> ...Marvin

Maybe apt should check size and try to resume the download. I'm assuming
it gets the right header but then the data ends prematurely?

Could you try to capture a tcpdump of the actual traffic between apt and
the proxy?

MfG
        Goswin