Re: Help me find a project to join!

Henrik null <sphk2@hotmail.com> writes:

> Please help me find a project to join! I have been looking through
> some bug reports and some projects that are up for adoption and I
> think I need some help to find a project that is on my level. What do
> debian developers usually start with?

You're going about it the right way: find bug reports that interest you,
dig into the problem and try to come up with a solution, submit a patch
to the bug report, correspond with the maintainer when they respond.

Keep repeating this and you'll:

* learn a great amount about the programs that make up Debian
* learn a great amount about how Debian packages are put together
* learn a great amount about how Debian itself is put together
* learn how to identify packages that are likely to match your skills
* learn how much patience is actually required with ongoing maintenance
* make a record of your interactions with Debian project members

all while making improvements to Debian with quick turn-around. Every
one of those is essential to becoming a good Debian project member, so
it's a very high-yield route to entry into the project.

Thank you for your enthusiasm to improve Debian, and good fortune to you
in scratching your itches!

--
 \         “True greatness is measured by how much freedom you give to |
  `\      others, not by how much you can coerce others to do what you |