Re: Notes from the DebConf Source Format BoF

]] Russ Allbery

| After a discussion on IRC, I organized a BoF at DebConf10 to discuss new
| source formats, specifically 3.0 (git).  Below are the notes from that
| discussion.  I tried to take reasonably comprehensive notes, but I'm sure
| that I missed things.  Other participants, please add any additional bits
| that I forgot!

I assume this is also meant as a starting point for further discussion
on the topic.

[...]

| ftp-team is concerned about doing license checks across the entire git
| archive Colin points out that we're in the same situation with Alioth for
| redistributability.  However, it is easier to withdraw things from Alioth
| than from the archive.  And redistributability (the legal requirement) is
| a lot less of a bar than what we check for DFSG.

While I am sympathetic with the problem of reviewing a large source
repository, I find myself increasingly considering the git repository as
the preferred form for modification, meaning that even a shallow clone
can't really be considered source any more than preprocessed source
would be, or a configure script without the corresponding configure.ac.

To some extent, I guess this then comes down to whose preferred form
we're talking about, if it's upstream's, Debian's, popular opinions, the
strictest of those, the least strict or something else entirely?

I don't really have a good solution here, so if somebody has a way to
make both camps happy, that'd be wonderful.

--
Tollef Fog Heen