Re: Distribution and support for Debian-502-i386-netinst

Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 06:39:28AM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
>> On Thu, 2011-11-17 at 04:10 +0000, Cherukuri, Shravan Kumar wrote:
>> > I have an image of Debian-502-i386-netinst-iso which I burned to a CD
>> > and tried to install the OS.
>>
>> Old netinst images generally do not work, since the packages they depend
>> on may be replaced at point releases.  If you really want Debian 5.0
>> ('lenny') then you should use the netinst image for the latest point
>> release, 5.0.9.
>
> Which seems like quite a nasty problem.
>
> For example: you download the current point release, burn it to a CD
> preparing to install a bunch of servers the next day...  then suddenly
> there's a new stable update and installation mysteriously fails.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to not delete superseded packages, at least for base?

Actually I have to disagree with Ben there. Netinst images, unlike the
netboot or businesscard images, are those you can install completly
without network access so they should always work. The Debian mirror is
only needed to install additional packages.

Worst case you install a base system first, then add a mirror to
sources.list and run tasksel manually.

The real question is why it fails to find any mirror. As a blind guess I
would think it is because of a key roll-over so the image can not verify
the signature of the archive anymore.

Cherukuri, could you give some more details about why or how it fails?
Maybe check the other consoles (alt-F3, alt-F4) for further output why
it won't accept any of the mirrors.

MfG
        Goswin