Re: Upgrading Squeeze to Wheezy on Bubba Two hardware

Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have the Bubba Two hardware [1], and I'm running on it the Debian
> Squeeze operating system so far.
> I have installed Squeeze by following these steps described here:
> http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2518
>
> Now since Wheezy is out as stable release, I want to upgrade my Squeeze
> system to Wheezy.
>
> Is it possible to do this by following advices from here:
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html
>
>>From where can I install the kernel for the Wheezy system for this
> hardware?
>
> Is there some dependencies regarding kernel and wheezy GNU system?
> In other words, must I have on this hardware ( Bubba Two is a headless
> server box ) a particular linux image that can work together with the
> rest of the GNU system ( Wheezy )?
>
> My apt sources.list is:
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian squeeze main
> deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
> deb http://update.excito.org/ marielle main
>
> [1] http://excito.com/
>     Bubba Two is an older hardware as Bubba 3.
>     It is a PowerPC.

I get an answer for my questions on the debian users list:

<quote>
Yes, udev in Wheezy requires a kernel >= 2.6.32 with the accept4(2)
syscall.  At least one year ago, the Squeeze kernel did not provide this
particular syscall on powerpc (it does on x86 though), and on my (purely
virtual) machine udev entered an infinite loop in the initramfs.

So before you upgrade your userland, I'd strongly recommend that you get
hold of a newer kernel first, e.g. from squeeze-backports.  How to boot
it - I don't know.
</quote>

So I expect here advices how to go?

--