Re: Diversity statement for the Debian Project

Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:

> That gets to another troubling part of the draft: Are there not some
> political opinions, even some religions, that we should discriminate
> against as being detrimental to the goal of a universal operating
> system?

Meh.  Yes, sort of, I guess, but pretty much everyone else's diversity
statements include those, and I think people understand what it means.
Obviously, different things in any list like this can contradict each
other (neurotype diversity doesn't mean tolerating people with an
uncontrolled hatred of women, to pick an obvious example), but by the time
one attempts to split all of those hairs, you end up with a statement that
fails to be inspirational or a meaningful statement of ideals.

A diversity statement is not a binding rule that has to be parsed for any
possible ambiguity.  It's an aspirational statement that contains grey
areas, which I think people have to sort out for themselves.