Re: Removing the manpage requirement for GUI programs?

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> writes:

> Yes, I overall agree with your arguments. However having it in the
> policy means we get bug reports about manual pages and have to deal with
> them, while they are not the primary source of documentation for
> command-line options.

> In my opinion, we’d be better off with no manual page than with one that
> is not maintained correctly. However the current policy encourages
> shipping a buggy manual page over not shipping it at all.

I think that's a bit of a reach.  That may be how some of your bug
reporters are interpreting Policy, but Policy doesn't say anything about
what bugs are more severe.  I don't think attributing that position to
Policy is entirely fair.

I agree with you that badly out-of-date man pages can be worse than no man
pages at all and it's a question of balancing two bugs, something that
package maintainers often have to do.