Re: apache2 and gpl2+

> As it is pointed out here [5] and here [6], GPL2 is incompatible with Apache2
> but GPL3 projects can contain Apache2 licensed code. Since vcmi is licensed
> GPL2+, could the Debian package upgrade the license to GPL3+ and thus turn it
> into a GPL3 project with Apache2 code which should be compatible? Sorry if this
> is stupid, it's just a naive idea.

Yes, you certainly could do that!

> The last possible solution I see would be to make the embedded fuzzylite
> version of vcmi into a shared library that vcmi can then link against. If it is
> a shared library and not statically compiled into vcmi, does it make a
> difference in terms of license compatibility? Or is even linking of apache2
> code from gpl2+ code forbidden?

I'm not sure, but I'd say that this would permitted if you released vcmi
as a whole under GPL-3(+), but it would be forbidden if you choose GPL-2
only. By the way, would it be possible to link to the present version of
fuzzylite, instead of the provided copy? Debian policy 4.13
(https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html) does not allow
convenience copies.