Re: Contribute to debian publicity

Title: Re: Contribute to debian publicity
On 13.06.2014 05:14, Paul Wise wrote:
On Thu, 2014-06-12 at 19:01 +0200, Silvia Frank wrote:
On 11.06.2014 05:57, Paul Wise wrote:

Please login to alioth and click the request to join on this page,
I'll approve the request.

https://alioth.debian.org/projects/publicity
Done.
Accepted, you can now commit to the publicity SVN repository :)
Thanks! I will have a look how it works - if I have any question, I come back to you ;-)

I think I will start writing a brief article on the debian deployment
running at Spotify. I will send a first draft when ready.
I noticed that Spotify isn't on the list of users. I tried to contact
them about this back in March but got no response. If you have special
contact with Spotify, could you ask them to follow these instructions?
At the same time it would be great if they sponsored DebConf14 :)

Andreas from Debian, who worked at Spotify, recommended me to get in touch with Noa Resare, who is the Open Source affiliate at Spotify. I wrote him an Email with the questions for the user article some days ago and here is his reply:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Re: debain deployment
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 11:15:55 +0200
From: Noa Resare <noa@spotify.com>
To: Silvia Frank <silvia.c.frank@web.de>

I'm afraid I have some bad news about that. A while back we decided to move onto Ubuntu for our backend server deployment. The main reasons for this was a predictable release cycle and long term support by upstream (this decision was made before the announcement that the Debian project commits to long term support as well.) With the release of the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS we are now in the process of migrating our ~5000 servers to that distribution.

Sorry.
/noa
-----------

So I will look now for other interesting Debian deployments and come back to this :-). If anybody has an idea (or even better a contact to ;-)) of Debian users, who wouldn't mind to be listed on the Debian website, I am glad to hear!

https://www.debian.org/users/#submissions
http://debconf14.debconf.org/become-sponsor.xhtml

Oh great, I never notice this page on the Debian website until now.
Maybe we could make a link from the frontpage to the "user site"? Is it
possible to highlight the freshest or outstanding deployments, e.g. in a
box at the right side beside the list? The list of deployments is very
long and some of the entries seem very old, and I think visitors are
more motivated to click, if they can see, which are the latest.
Highlighting the user testimonials on the front page sounds like an
interesting idea. Unfortunately there is no machine-readable date
information in users section of the webwml CVS repository, so the
highlighting would need to be manual and we can't automatically sort by
date until that is fixed. Probably the highlighting would need to be
manual anyway? Could you make a mockup of how it might look? This topic
should be discussed on the debian-www list anyways.

https://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/webwml/webwml/english/users/
https://www.debian.org/devel/website/
https://lists.debian.org/debian-www/

Ah ok, this makes even small changes intricate. So maybe for the first it is the easiest to put at the start site a link "Debian deployments" or "Debain users" which goes to:
https://www.debian.org/users/ . The link could be in the first column of links:
About
Social Contract
Code of Conduct
Free Software
Partners
Users
Donations
Contact Us
And on https://www.debian.org/users/ we integrate at the right side a simple box, where we put in newest and outstanding deployments. Attached you find a very simple (pdf/ libre office-)draft, how it could look (I am not sure, if that's the way how you use to do it - is there any "collaboration tool" at Debian project, where you can visualize your ideas?). The background colour of the box should be the same blue as on top of the side behind the Debian logo. I also shorten a bit the intro (also because the entries are not listed alphabetically  :-) - what do you think?

I know a lot of time has been spent on the website over the years. But anyway, I think in a longterm perspective it would make a lot of things much easier and faster (and "up-to-date-looking" ;-)), if the Debian website would be based on a CMS like Typo3 or Drupal. Maybe we should give this a thought ;-)?

So shall I copy our discussion about this stuff to the debian-www list and we continue there?

Cheers,
Silvia.