Re: Moving conf file from one package to another

On 2013-10-21 17:07, Ondřej Surý wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am preparing new version of nsd and I need to reuse the conffile from
> nsd3 package (that will get replaces by nsd package).
>
> And I need to move /etc/nsd3/nsd.conf to /etc/nsd/nsd.conf and move it
> from nsd3 to nsd package.
>
> Should I:
>
> - prepare transitional package nsd3 (src:nsd) that will Depend on nsd
> - the nsd3 package will move conffile to /etc/nsd/nsd.conf (using
> dpkg-maintscript-helper)
> - the nsd package will Breaks: nsd3 (<< 4.0.0), Replaces: nsd3 (<<
> 4.0.0)
> - nsd package will fully replace nsd3 package (since nsd3 package will
> be empty)
>
> Or is there some simpler way?

That sounds a like you would need this small hack to do the job:

  nsd.maintscript:

  mv_conffile /etc/nsd3/nsd.conf /etc/nsd/nsd.conf 4.0.0~ nsd3 -- "$@" 0

Note the additional 0 at the end, that is needed to make
dpkg-maintscript-helper properly take over the conffile even on the
initial installation of nsd, otherwise it would skip the job ... it just
adds an "old version" in case "$@" does not contain one ...

Andreas