Re: SMTP server does not support authentication

On 2/6/2013 3:48 PM, David Guntner wrote:
Jerry Stuckle grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

What I said was the server doesn't accept authentication.  And yes, I
have seen many servers which don't allow it from trusted sources.  They
include localhost, but a large number also accept from designated
servers (where authentication has already been done).  Often these are
heavily loaded systems.

If the source is trusted, there is no need to authenticate.

Agreed, there's no need if on a trusted network.  I personally don't see
a need to *prohibit* authentication from a connection on a local network
(and would most likely never set up a system that way), and I haven't
run into one yet.  Clearly, you have - so, I stand corrected. :-)

                   --Dave

Dave,

As I said - typically used on heavily loaded systems. Unnecessary authentication will add even more to the load. The easiest way to prevent the extra load is to prohibit it.

Certain parts of the U.S. Government use such a system, as do some large corporations. I've even seen some larger web hosting companies use it, where they funnel all their outgoing email through one server.