First attempt to use preseeding

Why - learn to use preseeding.
Why now - I think I've found an install related bug. Using preseed.cfg would eliminate human error as cause. For simplicity and repeatability I'm installing from DVD with no network connection of any sort. The DVD is disk 1 of 8 of a commercial copy of Debian 6.0.5 which has been used to do several successful instals.

I've read the appropriate sections of the "d-i Manual", an assortment of web pages, and searched for related posts on this list.

I found bits and pieces with too much detail on how to tweak the example preseed.cfg and very little on how to launch everything.

What obvious thing am I missing. Is there a "Preseeding for Newbies" page somewhere?