Re: BD-RE mount problem

On 06/08/12 11:51 PM, Gary Dale wrote:
I've been using BD-RE discs for backups on a Debian/Squeeze server for a couple of years now. In the last week or so the backups have been failing. I haven't modified my backup script so I thought about possible hardware issues.

- I tried changing the BluRay writer but got the same problem.
- I tried new discs but got the same problem.
- I tried replacing the PCI-SATA controller that the machine needed for the BluRay writer, but still got the same problem. - the discs do formate correctly when I try dvd+rw-format -force=full /dev/sr0

Finally, I tried an entirely different machine with a different model of BluRay writer and I'm still getting the same problem.

This new machine has a different architecture (AMD64) and is running Debian/Wheezy. Why am I getting the same problem?

I tried a new disc again, and this time formatted it through K3B instead of using dvd+rw-format directly. It appeared to format correctly - and no longer shows as an empty BD-RE disc when I insert it - but still wouldn't mount.

All the mount attempts give exactly the same result:

  # mount /media/dvd
  mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
  mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,
         dmesg | tail  or so

The /etc/fstab entry is the same between the two machines:
  /dev/sr0        /media/dvd      udf     user       0       0

I'm using Memorex BD-RE 2x discs. I've used an LG, ASUS and Pioneer BluRay writer - the first two on the older machine. The ASUS and Pioneer are brand new writers.

Any ideas?

Further to above, I did a file copy using K3B onto one of the BD-RE discs that won't mount. K3B appeared to recognize that there was a udf file system on the disc.

After it finished, it automounted as /media/cdrom0 with fs type iso9660. However, I could also mount it as /media/dvd. Switching to root, I was also able to mount it using
  mount -t udf /dev/sr0 /media/dvd
Running mount shows that it is mounted as a udf file system.

However, I can't mount it -rw. It insists that the file system is read-only.

Also, I booted my computer from a USB key containing system rescue CD. Again, the mount fails.

Here's a sequence I just tried:

root@transponder:/home/garydale# mkudffs /dev/sr0
Error opening device: Read-only file system
root@transponder:/home/garydale# mount /media/dvd

root@transponder:/home/garydale# mount /media/cdrom0
mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,
       dmesg | tail  or so

Afterward, I started up k3B and tried tools | format. The format dialog has a pulldown for the media which shows "Complete Data BD-RE". It wouldn't do a format - said it didn't need to do one - unless I do a force, which I decided against.

I was able to burn a data project, after which the BluRay disc automounts as /media/cdrom0 again. The mount command (no options) shows it as:
  /dev/sr0 on /media/cdrom0 type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)

I can also mount it as /media/dvd, where the mount command shows it mounted as:
  /dev/sr0 on /media/dvd type udf (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,utf8)

Trying to format the disk using dvd+rw-format is now giving me:
  root@transponder:/home/garydale# dvd+rw-format -force=full /dev/sr0
  * BD/DVD±RW/-RAM format utility by <appro@fy.chalmers.se>, version 7.1.
  * 24.2GB BD media detected.
* formatting .:-[ FORMAT UNIT failed with SK=5h/INVALID FIELD IN PARAMETER LIST]: Input/output error

I get the same if I try to -blank or -format as well.

And of course, the device shows as 100% full under df, since it seems to really be an iso9660 formatted disc.

Here's the dvd+rw-mediainfo:

root@transponder:/home/garydale# dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/sr0
INQUIRY:                [PIONEER ][BD-RW   BDR-207D][1.10]
GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
 Mounted Media:         43h, BD-RE
 Media ID:               RITEK/BW1
 Current Write Speed:   2.0x4495=8990KB/s
 Write Speed #0:        2.0x4495=8990KB/s
 Speed Descriptor#0:    00/11826175 R@2.0x4495=8990KB/s W@2.0x4495=8990KB/s
READ DISC INFORMATION:
 Disc status:           complete
 Number of Sessions:    1
 State of Last Session: complete
 Number of Tracks:      1
READ FORMAT CAPACITIES:
 formatted:             11826176*2048=24220008448
 00h(3000):             11826176*2048=24220008448
 30h(3000):             11826176*2048=24220008448
 30h(5000):             11564032*2048=23683137536
 30h(1000):             12088320*2048=24756879360
 31h(800):              12219392*2048=25025314816
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
 Track State:           complete
 Track Start Address:   0*2KB
 Free Blocks:           0*2KB
 Track Size:            11826176*2KB
FABRICATED TOC:
 Track#1  :             14@0
 Track#AA :             14@11826176
 Multi-session Info:    #1@0
READ CAPACITY:          11826176*2048=24220008448

I've been formatting DVD-RAM discs as UDF for years before switching to BD-RE. I've always been able to mount them, erase files from them and copy files to them without problems. Now it suddenly seems like none of my BluRay equipped machines will let me do it.

Any ideas anyone?