Re: Finding sponsors for Debian

Hi,

On 12.03.2012 23:19, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
>> Actually, $boss asked me the other day how to support Debian
>> better as he wasn't very convinced about usefulness of money
>> donations to Debian as he didn't get much feedback about that,
>> other than a tax deductable receipt.
>
> We have talked (and I mean in DebConf, that's the area of Debian I
> spent most of my orga-work in) about allowing this year for a
> better way of identifying precisely _what_ is a donor giving — As
> we did many years ago, we will allow sponsors to target their money
> to a specific target. So, i.e. we will be able to say "the
> conference dinner was kindly sponsored by Toell.net". Does it sound
> interesting? :-}

heh, except that that's my private address (and you can find us in the
DC11 sponsor list with already (Holger can give you details :)), but
I'm not here to advertise ourselves).

We sponsored both, Debian and DebConf in the past but my boss does not
feel very comfortable to sponsor DebConfs because he's more interested
to support actual Debian work as a distribution, as Debian is the
system we rely upon for our business. I find that understandable from
an outsider's point of view as he'd like to show his appreciation for
a rock stable distribution with great tools in the first place.

However, let me repeat my point is not to mention our individual
situation, with my $work hat on. I'm more keen to make Debian a more
interesting target to donations and I think Debian lacks some
transparency and public-relation work to make us attractive to
sponsors. I'm sure there are plenty of links, mailing list posts and
asset reports - but is a bunch of links really all we want to throw to
a donator? We may like it or not, but it matters much how we present
ourselves if we want to collect money from people.

- --
with kind regards,
Arno Töll
IRC: daemonkeeper on Freenode/OFTC