Re: Removing web server dependencies from web apps

On 01/06/2012 04:34 PM, Neil Williams wrote:
> It depends which is more common

I don't see why we would steer on the direction of the most common
thing only. What we want is something that works all the time, no?
If we remote the web server dependency, it works all the time.

Don't you think that someone who can setup a PHP app, also knows
that it will need apache, and that apt-get install apache2 is quite an
easy thing to do?

If someone is can setup a PHP app, I think we can assume that he
also knows how to install apache.

> How many of these packages do clever things upon installation like
> setup their own virtual hosts or similar?

None, because that's forbidden by the Debian policy.

> One reason why the database is not included in dependencies is dbconfig.

Could you elaborate?

Thomas