How to make Debian more attractive for users, was: Re: The number of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling

This should probably then move to Debian-Project?

On 07/21/2010 11:31 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 05:34:27PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
>

>> I think that what we need is Debian Blends that include official backports.
>> This, no other distribution proposes yet.
>>
> IMHO this is worth another thread how to make Debian more attractive for
> users ...

The computing world have become such complex, that we are all mere users
somewhere. So yes, we should think more about our users.

* I know a few who love lenny with backports, so yet, we should somehow
integrate that with the blends concept. Could there be a flag in
debian/control in some way for anything with a compatible debhelper
version to be auto-backported?

* Metaphorical speaking: we should give Debian a phone number. And I
mean full-time or at least half-time employees. With so many people
unemployed these days, I even feel we have the duty to think about
creating jobs.

Best,

Steffen