Re: Upgrading Sarge to Etch - failing to boot new kernel

W dniu 2010-06-18 01:11, Matt Turner pisze:
> 2010/6/17 Piotr Gliźniewicz<glizda@gmail.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to install Debian on my 164LX with AlphaBIOS. Since the newest >> DVD I can boot from MILO (I'm using the one provided on the Woody DVD) is >> Sarge, I installed it and begun upgrading to Etch (as advised in the Lenny >> readme). I've done a clean, default install of Sarge. Then I upgraded to the >> 2.6.8-4 kernel from the Sarge DVD and it worked without problems. What I've
>> done to upgrade to Etch:
>>
>> commented out Sarge CD in /etc/apt/sources.list
>> apt-cdrom add (with the 1st Etch DVD)
>> aptitude update
>> aptitude upgrade
>> aptitude install initrd-tools
>> aptitude install linux-image-2.6-alpha-generic
>> shutdown -r now
>>
>> At this point I can't boot the system with MILO. I'm trying to do it with a
>> command similar to the one I used to boot the 2.6.8-4 kernel:
>>
>> boot sdb6:vmlinuz-2.6.18-6-alpha-generic
>> initrd=initrd.img-2.6.18-6-alpha-generic root=/deb/sdb7
>>
>> Disk is partitioned to the Sarge default structure.
>> sdb5 is the space reserved for aboot (empty)
>> sdb6 is /boot (ext2 - MILO is not able to read ext3)
>> sdb7 is / (ext3)
>> sdb8 is swap
>>
>> It seems MILO loads the image, but then fails to boot (it displays
>> bootfile=<some odd characters>.
>>
>> Any hints how to start it?
>>

> Do you have a compelling reason to use AlphaBIOS/MILO?
>
> Matt

This machine is dual-booting NT and Debian Sarge, so AlphaBIOS is the only possibility. And the flash chip can either contain AlphaBIOS or SRM. I know it's possible to start the machine with SRM on a floppy, but this is what I'm trying to avoid. Since the 2.6.8 kernel booted, it confirms that MILO is capable of booting newer kernels, but it seems it fails to load the image properly to memory. I guess it might be possible to generate the loaded image in some legacy format? I noticed that during the kernel upgrade the imagerd is generate by some tool, so maybe I should look here (it's initrd what loads vmlinuz, right?)?

--
piotrek