Re: Archive area for clamz (Amazon MP3 downloader)

On 05/29/2010 09:47 PM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
On Sat, 2010-05-29 at 19:33 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 05/29/2010 03:28 PM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
On Sat, 2010-05-29 at 21:14 +0200, Felix Geyer wrote:
clamz [1] has been rejected from Debian NEW [2] some time ago.
The FTP assistent that processed the package was of the
opinion that it belongs to contrib instead of main because it's
only useful to download non-free content.

The purpose of clamz is to download MP3 files after buying them
from Amazon. You can download MP3s with every browser though
and Debian even has many MP3 decoders in main.
I don't see why this is a problem.

There is another package in main that is similar in this
respect: youtube-dl.

Some material on YouTube may be under a free licence, e.g.
<http://www.youtube.com/fosdemtalks>   (though this isn't explicitly
stated there).

So to get in main, an app isn't allowed to *touch* non-free data?

I think the policy being applied is that if a package is only useful in
conjunction with non-free data, it belongs in contrib (just as if it
depends on some non-free library).

Thanks for the clarification.

However, I just read http://www.debian.org/social_contract and it says nothing about the kind of *data* that programs can touch; only software, source code and the licensing of that source code is mentioned.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?