Re: Correct binary for Intel Core i5

On 2/21/2010 11:35 PM, Kelly Harding wrote:
My understanding was that USB3.0 was supported by Linux before any
other OS, and it is meant to be backwards compatible with USB1.1 and
USB2.0 anyhow, so I don't think you'll hit problems there.

Besides USB3.0 is still fairly new, so it will take time for there to
be devices on the market etc, by which time drivers for the
controllers will be pretty stable I'd imagine. Of course take this
with a pinch of salt perhaps ;)

I think you are correct, with at least one implementation. I seem to remember reading that. There are at least two chips. I don't remember if both implementations are covered.

SATA3 shouldn't really be a major issue as the chipsets are meant to
be compatiblew th SATA1 and SATA2, but it is a case with a lot of
these things of YMMV.

I don't trust new chips with critical data.  It's always something.

It's true that old 3.0Gb/s drive should work, electrically. Is the firmware solid? 6.0Gb/s drives should work on old chips, electrically. How flaky is the firmware here? Combine new chip with new drive. Are we on solid ground now? I shall maintain good backups, at least.

You're correct in both particulars.  Thanks for the corrections.

Mark Allums