Re: Correct binary for Intel Core i5

On 2/20/2010 5:18 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
Peter Tenenbaum put forth on 2/20/2010 4:51 PM:
Hello there --

I am planning to assemble a new computer for my home, and to run debian
linux on it.  I'm planning to use an Intel Core i5-660 CPU in this
computer.  From the documentation, it looks like the correct binary to use
is the AMD64.  Is this right?  Does anyone know of any problems running
debian AMD64 on Intel core-i5 processors?

This is the proper binary for the core i5, but that's the least of your worries.
  Your real concern should focus on whether Debian/Linux has all the drivers for
the various hardware devices on the motherboard and in the expansion slots,
including, but not limited to:

1.  GPU
2.  Network interface
3.  SATA controller
4.  Sound chip

If the MB uses the Intel ICH10 Southbridge, the SATA, at least, will work. If the Northbridge is Intel, as it virtually *must* be with the Core i5, the GPU will be okay. If the GPU is external, then buying an AMD/ATI or NVIDIA card will be safe. Most boards have Marvell NIC chips, that's covered. And sound will almost certainly be Intel Azalia HD; that's covered. I think you'll be fine.

AMD64 is the designation for the 64-bit chip architecture, not the actual chip manufacturer. AMD devised it, and Intel did the sensible thing and copied it when they expanded their x86 architecture to 64-bit; it was a very good design.

Stay away from the IA64 port.  That's for the Itanium.

Mark Allums