Re: Why syslog is not rotating?

 Hi.

On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 09:04:36 +0200 (IST)
Itay <debian@itayf.fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Nov 2013, Sven Hartge wrote:
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> My system was continuously on except for very short random periods and
> 3 weeks on Aug 2013. In contrast, the listing below shows (I believe)
> that syslog stopped rotating at 2010.
>
> # ls -gh /var/log/syslog*
> -rw-r----- 1 adm 219M Nov  2 21:50 syslog
> -rw-r----- 1 adm 2.5K Jun  5  2010 syslog.1
> -rw-r----- 1 adm    0 Nov  1 07:50 syslog.1.gz
> -rw-r----- 1 adm  661 Jun  5  2010 syslog.2.gz
>
> However:
> I checked /etc/cron.daily and did not find entry for rsyslog.
> Maybe that's the cause?

On a stock Debian system logrotate is used to rotate rsyslog
logfiles. This is configured in /etc/logrotate.d/rsyslog.
Logrotate is invoked at /etc/cron.daily/logrotate.

Now, that listing shows that someone (possibly logrotate) DID create an
empty syslog.1.gz file (on 1st Nov 2013), and that suggests that
logrotate is misconfigured somehow.

Can you please post a contents of /etc/logrotate.d/rsyslog?

Reco