Re: Uploading linux (3.11.5-1)

Thanks for the heads-up.

Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> (2013-10-13):
> Notable packaging changes in 3.11:
>
> - armhf single-platform flavours were removed
> - armhf has an 'armmp-lpae' flavour which, surprise, has LPAE enabled

Ian is the arm* guy those days. :)

> - ext4 module handles ext2 and ext3 filesystem types in all kernel
>   configurations; the corresponding udebs are gone

I've just pushed a fix for debian-installer's pkg-lists:
  http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=d-i/debian-installer.git;a=commitdiff;h=4382120f71447f5fe73cbdf4fbeb88098c2c2966

which should fix some FTBFS after I switched from 3.10-3 to 3.11-1. FTR
we'll need to bump the ABI on arm only as soon as Ben uploads a new
linux package.

From a very quick grep, things under d-i's packages/ directory that
might need adjusting at some point:
| kibi@arya:~/debian-installer/packages$ grep -rI modprobe|grep ext|sort
| busybox/modutils/modprobe-small.c://// Note: currently, help system shows modprobe --help text for all aliased cmds
| kickseed/setup/hd:log-output -t kickseed modprobe -q ext2 || true
| live-installer/support/extX:	modprobe $1 || true
| partman-basicfilesystems/init.d/kernelmodules_basicfilesystems:	   modprobe ext2  >/dev/null 2>/dev/null; then
| partman-ext2r0/init.d/kernelmodules_ext2r0:if modprobe ext2 >/dev/null 2>/dev/null; then
| partman-ext3/init.d/kernelmodules_ext3:   modprobe ext3 >/dev/null 2>/dev/null; then
| partman-ext3/init.d/kernelmodules_ext3:   modprobe ext4 >/dev/null 2>/dev/null; then

Ben just confirmed on IRC that both "mount -t ext[23]" and "modprobe
ext[23]" should work transparently with ext4, so we should be mostly
good. Except for things like this script, which relies on module names
in /proc/modules:
  partman-basicfilesystems/init.d/kernelmodules_basicfilesystems
→ http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=d-i/partman-basicfilesystems.git;a=blob;f=init.d/kernelmodules_basicfilesystems;h=f3d950d78ec7c457ca6572d094fdd6308410fa19;hb=HEAD

> - linux-headers-*, linux-image-*, linux-source-* will no longer provide
>   virtual packages

I didn't check yet whether d-i is affected by this change.

> - A large number of probably useless drivers were disabled

Shouldn't be too much of an issue for us.

Mraw,
KiBi.