Re: Re: looking for remaining gnome 3.8 packages for the GNOME 3.8 transition to complete.

On Wed, Oct 09, 2013 at 01:36:31PM -0300, Bruno Maximo e Melo wrote:
> Well, I think systemd will be a problem for kFreeBSD port...

Just to avoid misconceptions spreading, NO this is not a practical problem.

The reason is that gnome is already completely non-functional on
kfreebsd, so systemd is the least of the worries for anyone
thinking about running on top of kfreebsd.

Given that the problem mostly is that you'll get functionality
loss when not using systemd as your init system at runtime
there will not be a problem of continuing to ship broken
packages for kfreebsd (which we need to do as apparently
there are political motivations to not remove the broken
binary packages for kfreebsd architectures).
(Even if we ended up in a situation where we'd need some
component of systemd to be available at build-time we
could simply install unique copies of /bin/false in the
packages when building on kfreebsd and the packages
would continues to have the same practical value of kfreebsd.)

The "problem" is for people who want to continue clinging
to sysvinit on Debian GNU/Linux. These people will suffer
functionality loss, unless someone from this camp steps
up to actually implement a solution.
The "problem" of Gnome 3.8 depending on systemd for certain
functionality has existed for 6 months already. Yet noone
has showed any interest in working on a solution to be
able to not use systemd in Debian.

So as already stated, for anyone who doesn't generally
care and doesn't have a political agenda - now is the
time to start preparing your system for running systemd
unless you haven't already done so.

--
Andreas Henriksson