Re: OMAP4 - armel vs armhf

Hi Michał,

On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 06:43:23PM +0200, Michał Szymański wrote:
> I'm using armhf port for OMAP4 (pandboard) installed like in this guide:
> http://www.chalk-elec.com/?p=1478. I need to run precompiled application,
> build with CodeSourcery (arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc 4.6.1). There are some
> floating point math operation like sin/cos/sqrt - all from <math.h>, but app
> was built without hard fpu flag. When trying to run it on pandaboard
> segmentation fault occur (I've checked with gdb that it's caused by that
> sin() function, which is first math operation in code). I have also second
> board with Ubuntu11.10 which is armel, and there everything works fine. So,
> the question is - can I do anything on pandaboard's side to run that
> application? Just to make it clear - I can't rebuild with flag, because that
> app must be compatible with also with cores without FPU.

What's surprising is that you're able to run this application at all on
armhf: the ELF PI for armel is different than the one for armhf, so you
*should* be getting a "no such file or directory" error when trying to run
the binary.  How are you invoking the program?  Have you cross-installed
libc6:armel for compatibility, or done something else here?

The key requirement for successfully running armel binaries on armhf is to
have an ELF PI (ld.so) that can tell the difference between hard-float and
soft-float libraries on the system.  If I'm not mistaken, Debian unstable
should have this.