Re: Finding sponsors for Debian

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 09:21:32AM +0100, Mehdi Dogguy wrote:
> On 03/12/2012 09:00 AM, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > Having said all that, provided we don't overdo it, having more money
> > isn't necessarily a bad thing. If there are ways to attract more
> > money from donators, we should do so. I don't think sending letters
> > to companies is going to accomplish that, but that doesn't mean we
> > shouldn't try other things.
> >

> The question was precisely: what are “other things”? Can you be more
> explicit?

I haven't thought about this much, but off the top of my head: we could
put a note in the release notes or in the installation manual, and/or
put something on the website, along the lines of "Debian is a volunteer
organization that relies on volunteer contributions for survival. You
can help!"

I believe this will be much more effective than sending a letter to a
company; that feels a bit more like begging to me, and might work
counterproductive.

Note that none of this requires personal involvement from the DPL,
however.

the following formula:

pi zz a