Re: leaks in our only-signed-software fortress

* Christoph Anton Mitterer <calestyo@scientia.net>, 2012-02-18, 16:19:
Take the non-free flash as example... (yeah I know it's non-free and not officially sec-supported).. Even if it would use some SHA512 sums (hardcoded into the package) to verify the download (I don't know whether it does),.. the update mechanism is still outsite of the package management system (on has to call update-flash or something like that)... so you bypass the whole central point of update management.

Completely agreed! We should remove flashplugin-nonfree from the archive. Or wait, even simpler, you could just not install it.

FWIW, the Contents files _are_ signed, but AFAICS apt-file doesn't verify the signature.
See #515942.

You can easily check yourself that Contents-* checksums are mentioned in the Release files, even for lenny. (Though indeed they weren't in Feb 2009.)

Feel free to unarchive and reopen the bug.

--
Jakub Wilk