Linux 3.2 in wheezy

Debian 7.0 'wheezy' will include Linux 3.2.  This is currently in
unstable and will soon enter testing.

The kernel team is open to backporting some features from later kernel
versions, particularly to support newer hardware.

Featuresets
-----------

The only featureset provided will be 'rt' (realtime), currently built
for amd64 only.  If there is interest in realtime support for other
architectures, we may be able to add that.  However, we do need to
consider the total time taken to build binary packages for each
architecture.

If there are particular container features that should be enabled or
backported to provide a useful replacement for OpenVZ or VServer,
please let us know.  We cannot promise that these will all be enabled
but we need to know what is missing.

Compatibility
-------------

If you maintain a package for which the current stable version is not
compatible with Linux 3.2, excluding kernel module packages, please
consider making a stable update that fixes this.

If you maintain a kernel module package, please ensure that this is
compatible with Linux 3.2 in time for the freeze.  Any modules that
are not compatible will not be included in the release.  I recently
tested building all the module packages I could find against Linux 3.1
and have filed bugs against those that failed to build; however I have
not tested against Linux 3.2 and would prefer that the respective
maintainers did so.

We intend to switch to 2-component upstream version numbers in the
kernel version string, e.g.  3.3-1-amd64.  This change has been
deferred until after wheezy to avoid incompatibility with packages in
squeeze that assume 3-component version numbers.  If your package uses
uname(1) or uname(2) please ensure that it is prepared for this *in
wheezy* so that we can make the change immediately after.

Upstream support

Debian, Ubuntu and others will work upstream on a 3.2.y longterm
series of bug fixes.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings