Re: making encrypted $HOME as easy and convenient as possible

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 10:46:41PM +0200, intrigeri wrote:
> E.g. data may be written in cleartext swap, in hibernation images,
> temporary data may be written at various places on disk that are not
> in $HOME: cups spool, /var/tmp, etc.

That's true.  But there are varying levels of risk:  a fully-unencrypted system
has all data vulnerable to anyone who obtains the hard drive.  The risk of data
being recovered from an unencrypted swap partition or hibernation image is much
lower: not recovering *any* data, I mean; recovering *sensitive* data.  The
hibernation image is the more worrying case, I think: unless the act of
hibernating could re-lock a password manager in memory such as gnome-keyring…

> The d-i already supports easy *full* system encryption, swap included.

I'll have to double-check to see whether I agree with you about 'easy': at
least in comparison to ticking a single box, once!  Certainly 'not very hard'.
(not meaning to undermine or criticise the hard work of d-i hackers here).

For a single-user system, is it possible to pass through the decryption
password to later processes, to avoid needing to provide another password to
log in?  I know you could set your display manager to auto-login, but that
doesn't get you an unlocked keyring.

Same question for multi-user systems. In the multi-user case, I'm fairly sure
it's possible to have multiple decryption pass-phrases.  However in that case,
you would probably want a different encryption key for / as for each user's
$HOME. Otherwise, each user could decrypt each other's stuff:  and the weakest
pass-phrase would be the weak-point for all users.

> In some threat models, this offers a much greater protection than
> encrypting $HOME only. I think the specific usecases and threat models
> that make $HOME -only encryption more fit and desirable should be
> clearly defined before we look for a solution. What do you think?

I agree.  The reasons $HOME-only are more desirable are not to do with them
safer, but more convenient.  Can we make full-disk encryption more convenient?
Or can we make $HOME-only encryption safer?  Or perhaps a frank statement of
risk?

--
Jon Dowland