Re: Debian Hardware Compatibility List (Debian hardware certification)

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 10:12:35PM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> It may have been mentiond here or elsewhere ...
>
> K. Muto's
>  "Debian GNU/Linux device driver check & report"
> is one interesting activity to gather compatible hardware database.
>
>   http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/
>
> This provides extensive list of actual hardware devece supported by
> Debian GNU/Linux.  It relys on "lspci -n" and recent Debian kernel
> 2.6.39-1-686-pae.

I was not personally aware of this, thanks for the pointer.  It looks
like a valuable service, but unless we advertise it a bit more I doubt
it'll be able to reach out to (potential) Debian users.

> I guess, if we have simple POSIX shell script wrapper on
>  * lspci -n (To get hardware list)
>  * uname -r (To get running kernel version)
> with simple dialog based rating for asking hardware functionality, we
> may be able to get fairly good data.

Agreed.

To advance on this, we need someone leading the initiative and, as step
0, add all the missing wrapping (live cd, submission interface, etc.).
Collaborative test suite and the like can be added later, once the
submission interface is ready.

I cannot volunteer to do that myself, but I'll be glad to support the
communication around the initiative, because I believe it'd be very
valuable.

Any taker?
Cheers.