Re: Installing Debian from NFS

On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 05:12:05PM -0500, Rob Owens wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 01:39:59PM -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > In <[🔎] AANLkTim15i1a7pCkKoitxjsDqjyJAKS4ctFZKU6ctw9G@mail.gmail.com>, RR wrote:
> > >this may be a very obvious one of those things that I should just  "Google"
> > >but given my last experience, and unsuccessful Googling, I figured maybe I
> > >should ask the community as to what the CORRECT way to install Debian on a
> > >Sun machine such that it uses the ISO/Distribution on my local NFS server as
> > >opposed to just picking up the boot.img and then have the rest of it be
> > >downloaded from the Internet. I have a LOT of SUN machines to install and
> > >it'd be cool if I can just install them off the distro on the nfs server.
> >
> > Rather than using NFS, it would be easier to use HTTP to serve your debian
> > mirror, prehaps using approx or a similar apt proxy.  During the install you
> > should be asked which Debian mirror to use.  Input the proper hostname and
> > base url and all packages pulled in by APT will be via that mirror.
> >
> I use apt-cacher-ng and I'm pretty happy with it.  It was easy to set
> up.  When I do a net install on a machine on my LAN, I just tell the
> installer that my proxy is:
>
> http://myproxy:3142
>
> If you already have debs downloaded, there is even a procedure
> documented to import those into your apt-cacher-ng.

+1

As somebody who doesn't necessarily know what I am doing, I can testify to
this.

I use apt-cacher-ng to provide an easy way to store previous versions of
testing packages in case I need to back out of an upgrade (which I have done
more than once.)

I found setup and maintenance quite simple and it works flawlessly.  Not so
coincidentally, my two other machines can then upgrade more quickly from the
network.

--
Regards,
Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody