Re: Lenny - xvinfo: No Adaptors present..

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 11:06:51AM EST, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2011-01-14 09:24 +0100, Chris Jones wrote:

> > I'm in the last stages of migrating my (mostly legacy) stuff to a newer
> > laptop and cannot get mplayer to work as well as I had hoped on debian
> > lenny.
> >
> > On my previous system with an old ATI Mach64, I specified the XVideo
> > output driver and was getting pretty decent results.
> >
> > On the new system, with a fairly current nvidia video card, and the
> > default ‘nv’ free driver, only the sound appears to work when I stream
> > TV news channels or play .flv videos.
>
> The problem is that
>
> a) fairly current hardware may generally not work very well with a
>    relatively old system (Lenny's kernel and the nv driver are from
>    mid-2008), and

Yes, we are agreed..

> b) the nv driver does not support the XVideo extension on GeForce 8 and
>    newer.

I don't know if my card (Quad FX 3700M - mobile version) is newer. But
on squeeze I do see it listed among many others in the Xorg log
suggesting it might be supported. It is not listed in lenny's Xorg logs.

> > Hoping that this might be a simple case of debian ’lenny’ being too old
> > for my hardware and that I only needed to be patient and the problem
> > would take care of itself, I proceeded to boot into debian ‘squeeze’,
> > but unfortunately, I got the exact same results as on lenny: no video
> > with ‘xv’, very choppy sound with ‘sdl’, and xvinfo outputs the same
> > three messages as above.
>
> Which video driver do you use?

Since I have no gaming needs or such, I was planning on using the ‘nv’
driver on both systems.

> On Squeeze, nouveau is the default, and it does support XVideo here:

> ,----
> | % xvinfo
> | X-Video Extension version 2.2
> | screen #0
> |   Adaptor #0: "Nouveau GeForce 8/9 Textured Video"
> | [...]
> `----

I tried to activate the nouveau driver which was indeed installed by
default, but this eventually caused squeeze to freeze.. couldn't even
ssh to the laptop from another machine.

In any case, before the freeze, I did manage to run xvinfo.. same as
with ‘nv’.. no adaptors present.

> And what's your graphics card?  Use "lspci -k" to also show its kernel
> drivers, if any.

On lenny, this is all I see that looks like a graphics card:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 061e (rev a2)
Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nvidia

But lsmod shows that these modules were not loaded.

Looks like it's going to be a difficult card and I guess I should focus
on getting it to work in squeeze at this point.

cj