Re: Lenny - xvinfo: No Adaptors present..

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 09:20:37AM EST, Klistvud wrote:
> Dne, 14. 01. 2011 09:24:32 je Chris Jones napisal(a):

[..]

>> On the new system, with a fairly current nvidia video card, and the
>> default ‘nv’ free driver, only the sound appears to work when I stream
>> TV news channels or play .flv videos.

> It may be that the nv driver you use is simply slower than the
> proprietary nvidia driver.

At first glance, does not account for the fact that I do see some crappy
video with other mplayer -vo's such as ‘sdl’ or ‘x11’.

> See http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Installation-1 for
> installing the proprietary nvidia driver from the Debian repositories.

>> Hoping that this might be a simple case of debian ’lenny’ being too old
>> for my hardware and that I only needed to be patient and the problem
>> would take care of itself, I proceeded to boot into debian ‘squeeze’,
>> but unfortunately, I got the exact same results as on lenny: no video
>> with ‘xv’, very choppy sound with ‘sdl’, and xvinfo outputs the same
>> three messages as above.
>
> Unless you have very specific needs, Squeeze is the way to go on a laptop
> machine.

Since it will happen any time soon, I decided it made more sense to wait
till squeeze becomes stable..

> A more recent kernel, more hardware is supported, ext4  filesystem,
> and so on. There is really no reason to stick with Lenny in  your case
> as far as I can see (but the decision is yours, of course).

I have an up-to-date squeeze environment ready to roll.. but I'm having
the exact same problem with it.. Looks like regardless of the version,
‘nv’ doesn't play well with my video card.

>> I am not really keen on installing the ‘nvidia’ driver on the debian
>> systems,

> You can say that again.

I ran a quick test about a month ago with the proprietary driver, plus
patched kernel.. etc. and I what I saw was that hardware rendering
worked fine. But the linux console was non functional. Let me login,
type startx, etc. but all I could see was a black screen. Impractical
for normal utilization..

This problem is fixed with the newer version of the ‘nvidia’ driver that
comes with ubuntu 10.10. Ibid. squeeze, presumably.

>> but on the other hand, it would be nice to be able to take a quick
>> look at the news and such without having to reboot..
>>
>> Is this situation to be expected, or is there any way I could get
>> this to work?

> I'm afraid it's the former. Freedom never comes cheap (i.e. without
> sacrifice).

I'll give the ‘nouveau’ driver a run for its money when I'm done
switching to squeeze.

cj