Re: DEP5: CANDIDATE and ready for use in squeeze+1

Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> I have just pushed out the CANDIDATE version of DEP5 to the DEP
> subversion repository.  DEP5 is the specification for a machine-readable
> format for debian/copyright files, the use of which will be optional.

I'm curious about Source being a required field. Policy says:

     In addition, the copyright file must say where the upstream sources
     (if any) were obtained.

Native packages tend to have no upstream sources, so for most of the
200 or so native packages that I am involved in, I have no such thing
in copyright, and I think that policy allows that. Anything I can
think of to put in the source field seems redundant or pointless
boilerplate -- which I'd rather avoid having in the 200-odd native
packages I am involved with in Debian.

(Of course, the Source field is also redundant for a great many packages
where it would be the same URL that goes in debian/control's Homepage field.
IIRC, the hope is that policy is eventually changed to not require
the copyright have that redundant information.)

--
see shy jo