Re: Keeping an upstream git URL somewhere

Hi again,

Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> (01/11/2010):
> I think it'd be nice to have a reference to the upstream git
> repository in all Debian packages we maintain, so that one can just
> use “debcheckout $foo $foo.git” to get the Debian packaging, and
> then “tiny-shell-wrapper” to perform “git remote add upstream $url”.

I called it xsf-remote-add-upstream, and it's available in the
newly-born xsf-tools.git repository:
  http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-xorg/debian/xsf-tools.git

That repository also contains the debgittag script, called xsf-tag (so
that one can append this directory to ones $PATH).

> I'm not sure we want that in debian/control (even though an X… in
> front of it the field could help keeping it out of the Packages and
> Sources files); an alternative could be storing that in a comment in
> debian/watch.

I went for debian/watch*, with this format:
#git=git://$url

That works with debian/watch.$util in the bundle packages we have.

> (I guess we could also provide some .mrconfig file with all debian
> packages we maintain, so that one could easily have the same
> dir/repo layout locally. I might look at it later on.)

I borrowed some of David's ideas as seen in debian/doc-hackers.git,
and there's a mrconfig file available in the same repository, along
with instructions to bootstrap everything:
  http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-xorg/debian/xsf-tools.git;a=blob_plain;f=mrconfig.README

In other news, I killed the pkg-xorg.git repository, which was empty,
and moved both doc-hackers.git and git-migration.git under the debian/
directory.

More documentation to come, but later.

Mraw,
KiBi.