bits from the DPL: sprints, events, delegations, assets

Dear Developers, here we go again with the periodic SPAM^Wreport from
your Friendly Neighborhood DPL.

Squeeze Release
===============

The monthly RFH section is once more for the Squeeze Release. Trying to
read Release Team minds, I get something like: « the RC bug count [1] is
proceedings in the right direction, but it is still not (fast) enough to
release ». At the time of writing, the most recent stats [2] speak of
126 bugs that need to be fixed ... and we are about 1'000 developers!
Please consider devoting some of your Debian time to fix RC bugs, no
matter if you are the maintainer of the affected packages or not.
Release is inherently a collaborative activity and not something up to
the Release Team only; collaboration is also the only way to keep up
with the high quality standards Debian has delivered in the past.

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/
[2] http://blog.schmehl.info/Debian/rc-stats/2010-45

Now to what I've been up to since the last report ...

Sprints
=======

I've been working on clarifying and advertising the procedures for
"sprints" (AKA developer meetings). The results of that work is the
"Debian Sprint Program" which has been announced [3] and can be found on
the wiki [4]. The main rationale for the initiative is that sprints are
possibly the best way to invest Debian money; sprints help getting work
done, strengthening our community at the same time.

If you are part of a team which might benefit from getting together to
hack on specific topics, check out the documentation at [4] and get in
touch with me. Also, if you are in touch with entities who would like to
support Debian with donations, please point them to the sprint program:
donating to Debian is a wonderful way to support it; if they want to
sponsor sprints on specific topics, that can be arranged as well.

After the announcement I heard back from several teams already
(e.g. EmDebian, QA, -www, debian-med). They are currently at the
planning stage of corresponding sprints, in some cases also thank to
generous sponsors which have already stepped-in as sprint sponsors.

[3] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/10/msg00014.html
[4] http://wiki.debian.org/Sprints (and sub-pages)

Events
======

I've attended various events as a Debian representative:

- LinuxDay [5] in Modena, Italy. There I've delivered a talk entitled
  "Debian: 17 years of Free Software, Do-ocray, and Democracy". Slides
  (in English) are at [6].

- UDS-N (Ubuntu Developer Summit). I've delivered no talk there although
  I've attended some Debian-related sessions. A call for input [7]
  before attending and a brief report after [8] have been posted.

- at UDS-N, I've been interviewed, in the context of a video
  documentary, about the relationship between Debian and Ubuntu. The
  material will be released under a free license; I'll let you know as
  soon as I'll be notified that it has actually happened

I've been asked if someone could attend on behalf of Debian the last
openSUSE conference, which had a strong focus on collaboration with
other distributions. I couldn't attend myself, but Rhonda kindly agreed
to do that as a Debian representative; she delivered a talk there and
has sent a report about that once back [9]

[5] http://www.linuxday.it/
[6] http://git.upsilon.cc/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=talks/201010-linuxday.git;a=tree;h=refs/heads/pdf;hb=pdf
[7] http://lists.debian.org/debian-derivatives/2010/10/msg00000.html
[8] http://lists.debian.org/debian-derivatives/2010/11/msg00006.html
[9] http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2010/10/msg00096.html

Delegations
===========

I've delegated Martin Michlmayr as Debian Auditor [10] (joining Luk
Claes), and Enrico Zini as Debian Account Manager [11] (joining
Christoph Berg and Joerg Jaspert).

[10] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/10/msg00004.html
[11] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/10/msg00010.html

Money
=====

Debian money have been used to sponsor a Debian kernel sprint in
October. Announcement [12] and minutes [13] are available.

[12] http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2010/09/msg00351.html
[13] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2010/11/msg00216.html

Assets
======

Some activity has been going on with Debian second-level domains: .gr is
currently being transferred from the previous individual owner to SPI,
while a transfer request has been sent to the current owner of the .eu
domain.  I've been part only of the decision making; for everything else
you should thank the SPI board and various other DDs including: Faidon
Liambotis, Joerg Jaspert, Jonathan McDowell, Konstantinos Margaritis,
and Martin Zobel-Helas.

Miscellanea
===========

On behalf of debian-publicity I've requested back the control of the
@planetdebian account on identi.ca [14], so that people who are into
microblogging can follow Planet Debian on a Free-as-in-Freedom service.

As we're past the 6 month mark of the current DPL term (time flies!),
I've requested some "midterm feedback" via my blog [15] about how things
are going in this term from *your* point of view. Please consider the
call for feedback as always open and let me know what do you think.

[14] http://identi.ca/planetdebian
[15] http://upsilon.cc/~zack/blog/posts/2010/10/midterm_feedback_sought/

Happy RC bug squashing,
Cheers.

PS the usual boring day-to-day activity log is available at
   <master:/srv/leader/news/bits-from-the-DPL.*>

Quando anche i santi ti voltano le spalle, | .  |. I've fans everywhere