Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 12:18:19 -0400
From: Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org>
To: Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org>
Subject: derivatives BoF minutes

Re: http://mdzlog.alcor.net/?p=1545

Sorry, I completely forgot about the minutes; you can find them
attached, please post them where appropriate as the BoF organizers (of
course, I believe -derivatives should be one of the obvious recipients).

Thanks for the BoF!
Cheers.

BoF: Debian Derivatives, DebConf10, 3/8/2010

Projects Represented:
 * Debian
 * Ubuntu
 * GRML
 * webconverger

appreciations
-------------

 * lucas, for explaining Debian "culture" :D (by jcastro)
 * zack reported the "success stories" of team collaborating debian/ubuntu
   teams: pkg-games, pkg-java, dpmt/papt, d-i, dpkg, security,
   pkg-freevo/-mono/-perl, APT, live-helper, nginx, PAM
 * daniel baumann (works on debian live, appreciated by Kai Hendry)
 * bdmurray working with lucas to get the information he needed from launchpad
   to get data to the PTS pages for patches.
 * jordi and zack for "pings" on grub maintenance status in debian (from colin)
 * cjwatson for some responses about grub (from Michael).
 * Lucas and Scott Kitterman for explaining the Ubuntu culture to Zack.

puzzles / questions / rumors
----------------------------

- is there any fast tracking for Ubuntu people to become DD?
  there is fast tracking based on the work done, but it is not Ubuntu-specific

DISCUSSION ....

complaints & suggestions
------------------------
- merge some of the ubuntu-dev-tools scripts into devscripts
- giving credit ubuntu -> debian on the website (now fixed)
- debian can do better in recognising contribution other than packaging, that
  way that kind of work coming from derivatives will be "pushable upstream"
- "mini-derivatives" that do not change much: they should make an effort in
  being more easily distinguishable, so that bugs go to them and not to their
  upstream

new information
---------------

- fast tracking: how is the situation in both direction
- derivatives front desk (see below for info)

hopes & wishes
--------------
 * real time import of the Debian BTS in Launchpad (immediate bug notification)
 * upstream wish: an easier way to get a package into Debian (not in the sense
   of the official distribution, but in the sense of unofficial packages which
   are easy enough to use; e.g. PPA)
 * PPA(-like) infrastructure for Debian (debexpo/mentors.d.n needs helpers)
 * http://wiki.debian.org/MergeDerivedDistributions
 * debian-live derivatives project

actions
-------
- making a list of developers in both projects (Debian & Ubuntu)
- Fast tracking debian developers to become Ubuntu developers, how come no one
  knows this exists? (jcastro) (add a note to DeveloperNews)
- Debian builds in PPAs for Developers?: https://bugs.launchpad.net/soyuz/+bug/188564 (jorge)

Debian Derivatives FrontDesk (SPAM section)

 * http://wiki.debian.org/DerivativesFrontDesk
 * derivatives@debian.org (contact point for inquiries) (points at discussion list?)
 * debian-derivatives@lists.debian.org (discussion list)

----- End forwarded message -----

ti resta John Fante -- V. Caposella .......| ..: |.......... -- C. Adams