Re: dosfslabel finds problem, e2fsck does not

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 10:25:30 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> [...]

[...]

> I did read the man page first.  It said wipefs -n /dev/hda1 would do
> everything except the write call.  I ran it that way and the output was
> much like the example you gave above with a message that two bits would
> be removed.  I assumed the two bits were the leftover signature and ran
> wipefs again without the -n option.
>
> Since then the computer was shutdown overnight.  Reboot this morning
> stopped in maintenance mode reporting a bad superblock in /dev/hda1.  I
> ran e2fsck -b xxxx /dev/hda1 where xxxx was the given alternate
> superblock.  The systen then rebooted normally.
>
> Now the output of wipefs -n /dev/hda1 is:
>

> offset               type
> 0x438                ext2   [filesystem]
>                      UUID:  2428f3c0-3098-448c-9484-587eb9f86e37
>

> > Does "blkid /dev/hda1" still return the correct label, UUID and type?
> Yes
>
> /dev/hda1: UUID="2428f3c0-3098-448c-9484-587eb9f86e37" TYPE="ext2"

OK, that is all fine. You did not give the details about how you used
wipefs in your previous message, so I was getting worried that I might
have inadvertently caused you to wipe out the ext3 signature.

> Installation of linux-base still fails as described previously and
> dosfslabel /dev/hda1 still gives the error message posted prevously but
> e2fsck /dev/hda1 says it is clean.

So we still have to find out why the postinst script runs dosfslabel on
an ext3 partition. Looking at the script, it seems to assemble a list of
filesystems and their types by analyzing /etc/fstab. I would therefore
like to see your output for:

  grep -E 'hda1|2428f3c0|vfat|msdos|ntfs' /etc/fstab

--
Regards,            |
          Florian   |