Re: dosfslabel finds problem, e2fsck does not

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 20:09:27 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 10:43:46PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> > [...]
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > No luck.  wipefs removed two bits
> >
> > That is better in any case; such stale additional signatures cause
> > problems for blkid.

Note: I misunderstood you here, assuming that you had actively removed
the signatures yourself after checking that it made sense to do so.

[...]

> > I would like to see your output of
> >
> >   wipefs /dev/hda1
>
> No output.

That is not good; it should show at least the signature of the ext3
filesystem.

# wipefs /dev/hda1
offset               type
0x438                ext3   [filesystem]
                     LABEL: root
                     UUID:  51e39ea1-999d-4567-8e50-11ad53029e9c

>             There was output

I need to know exactly what this output was.

>                              before I ran wipe /dev/hda1 the first time.
> It said it was removing two bits.

It should have done anything when run without options, unless you have a
different version of until-linux than the current one for Squeeze. There
was a reason for my explicitly asking you to read the manpage to make
sure you understand what you are doing. I thought you understood the
inherent risk of operations on the filesystem structure and that you
would make an informed decision if that risk is worthwhile. I cannot
make any more suggestions to you if you unquestioningly use the tools
that I propose without regarding the caveats that I point out.

Does "blkid /dev/hda1" still return the correct label, UUID and type?

> > (to verify that the ext3 signature has the normal offset) and also the
> > output of
> >
> >   fdisk -l /dev/hda

[...]

> Disk /dev/hda: 30 GB, 30754321920 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 3739 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hda1               1         243     1951866   83  Linux
> /dev/hda2             244        3739    28073587    5  Extended
> /dev/hda5             244        3739    28073587   83  Linux

That looks OK to me.

--
Regards,            |
          Florian   |