Re: Squeeze, firmware and installation

On Wed, 05 May 2010, Arto Jantunen wrote:

> Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> writes:
> > It seems the kernel team has moved alot of firmware to non-free,
> > which means that more people will need to use pieces from non-free
> > to be able to use their computer.
> >
> > So I was wondering what the state is of everything, and what
> > issues people will run into, specially when installing.
> >
> > I'm also wondering what people think about adding some firmware
> > to our official installation media.
>
> Hmm. Is the release already so close that it's time to have this
> flamewar again? Shouldn't we wait a month or two for maximal effect?
>
> Seriously speaking, to me it seems very clear that non-free firmware
> will not be present on official installer images. Then again, the
> installer team has made it very easy to inject firmware during
> installation on machines where it's needed.

Have they?  It's the most painful thing every time I need to setup a new
box.  It's the most time consuming part too, easily doubling or
trippling the time, if not worse, it takes to install a new system.
Most if the time it involves re-creating installer media because debian
can't be arsed to be useful by default.

Is that what you mean with very easy?