Re: AMD M780G with ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics

Hey,

I have a HP laptop with the Radeon HD3200 graphics card.  3d is supported by the radeon driver, along with KMS (kernel modesetting).  I currently use the fglrx driver as the radeon driver currently lacks power management.  According to http://mjg59.livejournal.com/122190.html , power management support is being added to newer kernels.  While using the radeon driver, I had a KDE4 Desktop running using compositing and was able to play opengl games (specifically supertux and smc).  Movies seemed to work well.

All test were performed on a mix of squeeze and sid packages on my laptop (sid kernel + some graphics components).  Make sure to run linux-image-2.6.32-4-*, not -3!  -4 has various improvements in the kernel drivers.

Matthew