Re: German Debian (was: Processed: ipv6 release goal)

Zitat von Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de>:

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 20:23:31 +0800, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 8:06 PM, Marc Haber
<mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> wrote:
Most web pages are much better translated to German than Debian's are.
Unfortunately, Debian is broken beyond repair in regard to German
language support.

All of Debian or just the website?

Unfortunately, all of Debian. Translating technical texts from English
to German is controversial at its best, and the Debian translators
have taken my least favorite approach of eliminating all English,
leading to barbarities like "SMTP-Sendezentrale" or
"Sicherheitsgutachten". Debian's German translations feel to me (a
native speaker of German) as babelfished from English.

I used to take a look at Debian's translations of my own package's
Debconf templates, but nowadays I just treat them as just another
language that I don't speak. This approach saves me a lot of grief.

Greetings
Marc, who has preferred language DE as well and cringes whenever a
Debian page comes up and would really love to see those in English

Sounds like Debian has QA issues wrt the website translations. I
assume that you reported that to the German website l10n folks,
debian-i18n and debian-www?

They are resistant to advice and think their way is the correct way.
They work with a word list, so it must be correct.

Directly from www.debian.org (english, then German, then translated back):
"it comes with over 25000 packages, precompiled software bundled up in a nice format for easy installation on your machine." -> "Es enthält mehr als 25000 Softwarepakete, vorkompilierte Software in einfach zu installierenden Paketen." -> "It contains more than 25000 software packages, precompiled software in easily installable packages."

From a good translation, I'd expect that the reverse is the original text in some form. Additionally, the translations often sound too formal to a native speaker:
"Debian ist ein freies Betriebssystem (OS) für Ihren Rechner."
Although "Ihren" is the formal translation of "your" (which has a formal and a non-formal translation in German), capitalizing that word is very formal (e.g. used in directly addressed letters). To avoid that, it is way more common to not address the reader directly. That may be totally different in english.

Sometimes, they don't translate some words, e.g. in "Das neueste stabile Release von Debian ist 5.0." with a different wording under the link in the same paragraph (Release -> Veröffentlichung).

And that wasn't even the half of the front page!

I usually don't care enough (nobody can translate stuff in a way that all agree). The reason for asking for the language of the web page was my preference to stay with a language: a reference to an english page on an english mailing list.

HS