Re: Bits from the FTPMaster meeting

Hello,

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 04:15:35PM +0100, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> source-only uploads
> -------------------
> After some discussion about this, there are two opinions within the
> ftp-team about this matter.  Given that other distros experience has
> shown that allowing source only uploads results in a huge loss of
> quality checks and an increased load on the buildds from packages
> FTBFSing everywhere,

Is there any quantitative evidence of this, or is it purely anecdotal?  I
guess this is mostly based on the Ubuntu experience, where it was a cause
for grumbling early in Ubuntu's history that people were uploading
completely untested packages and causing problems, but I'm not sure that
this is a significant problem in Ubuntu today; I think packages in Ubuntu
are at least as likely to FTBFS because of either skew between the archive
and the set of packages being tested with (which is a problem that will
affect Debian as well) or because the package has been imported from Debian
in an unbuildable state (which points to a latent FTBFS bug in Debian).

I'm not asserting that this problem is *not* significant, I simply don't
know - and am interested in knowing if anyone has more data on this beyond
some four-year-old anecdotes.  Certainly, Debian with its wider range of
ports is more likely to run into problems because of this than Ubuntu, and
so will need to be fairly cautious.