POP3 in Debian

Hi,

Since the weekend my MUA POP3 connection has failed to receive
messages with this appearing in the log.
--- POP
RCV: +OK pop.shaw.ca
SND: USER peasthope
RCV: +OK password required for user peasthope@shaw.ca
SND: PASS ****
RCV: +OK server ready
SND: UIDL
RCV: +OK 35 messages
SND: LIST  1
RCV: -ERR unable to parse msg
SND: RETR  1
RCV: -ERR unable to parse msg
SND: QUIT

Failure in parsing "LIST 1" baffles.  How big a problem can parsing of 6
characters be?  To understand further, I want a Debian system to automatically
retrieve messages from the POP3 server and put them in /home/peter/mbox.
Then qpopper can let the preferred MUA pop them from the mbox.  Which
software should be configured to retrieve from the ISP POP3 server and
store in mbox?  Exim, getmail or another?

Thanks,                  ... Peter E.

--
Telephone 1 360 639 0202.  Former telephone 1 360 450 2132.
bcc: peasthope ... shaw.ca