Re: Anyone got Wheezy running on a Dreamplug?

On Sun, 2013-05-19 at 09:24 +0100, Tixy wrote:
> Also, a U-Boot that supports FDT would be required should I want to run
> Testing which will have the multi-platform kernel. Unless they are going
> to build that with CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB, which I hope they don't as
> that's a hack and isn't completely robust (I believe) for people who
> don't append an FDT.

AIUI the mp kernel flavour is for armhf (armv7) only, whereas the
dreamplug is armel (v5). I don't know about APPENDED_DTB on armhf. I
suppose armv7 platforms are much more likely to support fdt in their
u-boot.

The main danger with CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB is that there might, by
coincidence, happen to be something which looks like a DTB in the memory
right after where the kernel is. If for some reason we find ourselves
compelled to enable that option then teaching bootloaders to zero a few
bytes after the kernel is one option, as is teaching e.g. flash-kernel
to append a few zeroes to the image.

It also seems like it ought to be possible to replace any use of
CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB with a devio shim. I think that sounds
preferable since it confines the pain to the platforms with the
shortcomings...

Ian.