Re: Anyone got Wheezy running on a Dreamplug?

On Sat, 2013-05-18 at 22:07 +0100, Mike Howard wrote:

> u-boot update process I've used on both older and newer versions of the
> DP is as follows;
>
> # Following 3 steps can be done on or off the DP
> # Modify to suit the u-boot you require
> wget http://<fav
> mirror>/debian/pool/main/u/u-boot/u-boot_2013.01.01-3_armel.deb
>
> # Modify dest dir as you like
> dpkg-deb -x u-boot_2013.01.01-3_armel.deb u-boot_2013.01.01-3_armel
>
> #  /mnt here is on any media that you will have access to when booting
> the DP
> cp -r u-boot_2013.01.01-3_armel/usr/lib/u-boot/dreamplug /mnt
>
> # On the DP
> usb start
> # Modify to ext2load if req and modify dev:part as req
> fatload usb 0:3 0x6400000 dreamplug/u-boot.kwb
> sf probe 0
> sf erase 0x0 0x80000
> # 0x3AB9C = size of u-boot.kwb
> sf write 0x6400000 0x0 0x3AB9C
>
> That's it. If it didn't work for you then possible user error? File size
> error?

Possible/probable user error, but as I've already bricked one DreamPlug
and had to buy a replacement I'm very reluctant to give it another go.

> But you don't need to update u-boot specifically for Wheezy. You don't
> need FDT support either.
> If you have squeeze you could just upgrade.
>
> Or am I missing something?

I wanted to run the stock Debian kernel, that requires a fixed U-Boot or
to add a shim to flush the L2 cache like Ian Campbell showed. I also
want to do a fresh install with my own choice of packages and config
rather than upgrade what the plug ships with.

Installing is no problem, I've done it dozens of times on various
machines, I was just struggling with getting the kernel booting.

Also, a U-Boot that supports FDT would be required should I want to run
Testing which will have the multi-platform kernel. Unless they are going
to build that with CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB, which I hope they don't as
that's a hack and isn't completely robust (I believe) for people who
don't append an FDT.

--
Tixy