Iceweasel as a gnome-core dependency?

When installing the gnome-core metapackage (unstable), I noticed that it
unconditionally pulled in iceweasel as a dependency. This seemed odd to
me, as Iceweasel is not a GNOME-related package at all and seems to make
little if any attempt to even integrate with GNOME.

I found a bug[1] in gnome-core that seemed related to this issue, and
seconded the call for removing the iceweasel dependency. The response
was that security was the driver for this, and that I should report
iceweasel's lack of GNOME support as a bug.

1. Is there any background or conversation the RT had that I can look at
to better understand their decision? I can't seem to source anything
relevant.

2. I'm thinking the suggestion of reporting iceweasel's lack of GNOME
integration as a bug is unreasonable. Anyone think that doing so would
have any merit?

Thanks,

Paul