Re: Do ATI HD cards have good working drivers for Linux (Debian Squeeze in particular)

On Wed, 2012-07-11 at 17:30 +0530, aditya menon wrote:
>  All-in-one from Lenovo with ATI

I bought a mobo with an integrated ATI that as separated card has got
proprietary driver support, but the integrated thingy only worked with
the FLOSS driver, without 3D acceleration. The manual does call it
"Integrated ATI Radeon X 1250-based graphics", the keyword seems to be
"based". I bought a NVidia card for the mobo.

I suspect that for many needs Intel graphics will work best with Linux,
but I don't know people playing games, perhaps Intel graphics don't fit
to gamer's needs.

For NVidia cards I only heard about issues with the new proprietary
drivers, but older drivers work like a charm. Since I'm a kernel-rt
user, there's a serous license issue. Nouveau (FLOSS) is a PITA for many
needs and many tasks and nv (FLOSS) is dropped, just a few distros still
ship with the nv driver. The proprietary driver is hard to use with a
kernel-rt and if it should work, than you'll offend the licenses.

I dunno if there are licenses issues for ATI too, there shouldn't be
such issues for Intel drivers.

Cheers,
Ralf

PS: I like the color of your email, but it's uncommon to forma mails to
mailing lists by HTML, please use plain text only.