Re: gnome fallback, etc??

On Fri, 2012-06-29 at 00:23 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le jeudi 28 juin 2012 à 12:45 +0200, Svante Signell a écrit :
> > Unfortunately I have to upgrade my Debian systems without changing the
> > desktop environment away from gnome3. Is there a way to have something
> > similar to gnome2, like the fallback (gone already?), applets in the
> > window list (like the netspeed applet), 2D instead of 3D, etc. I have
> > not found any menus for setting, e.g. 2D under gnome3. (my laptop
> > already has gdm3, I didn't find anything there).
>
> You can select “GNOME Classic” as a session from the display manager.
> It is extremely similar to GNOME 2, except that the panel is black and
> you have to use alt+right click to configure it.
>
> There is also still a netspeed package.

Thanks a lot, it seems to be located in gnome-session-fallback package.
And it will be part of Wheezy too? Some time ago the fallback version
was unavailable when a 2D solution was found.

BTW: I wonder how to configure applets and extended features with the
Gnome 3 session, provided by the gnome-applets and
gnome-shell-extensions packages. I did not find out how to do that,
still using it on the laptop. alt+right click does not work. And is
there a way to disable the 3D functions, the laptop has only 1GB memory
and a slow graphics card (I think it is an i915).

Thanks!