Re: Please check whether your package is mentioned in tasks files (Was: RFS: FreeFOAM)

Hi Andreas, Dmitrijs Ledkovs
FreeFOAM will perfectly fit in the physics task. It also might a good
idea to put freefoam-dev in the physics-dev task, as, once freefoam is
installed on the computer, it is very easy to develop new libraries and
solvers for CFD using the CMake modules provided by freefoam.

Though OpenFOAM is in the physics task, I think this software will never
enter into Debian. Its configuration system is a mix of shell and WMake
scripts, which often have to be manipulated manually, does not install
in the standard (/usr/bin, /usr/lib etc) directories, for compilation
and executing OpenFOAM, many environmental settings are needed (provided
in a bash.rc) in order to get it work properly. These were the reasons
freefoam was created. Other differences are that shell scripts are
substituted by Python scripts. This mainly affects testing of the
tutorials. Apart from one module, which has to be removed because of
non-free files, its functioning is identic to OpenFOAM. Therefore, I
think that freefoam will substitute openfoam in the physics task.

In addition, in the past OpenFOAM provided a UserGuide.pdf under the
GPL-2 licence. Though OpenCFD (developer of OpenFOAM) never issued the
source of this pdf document (it was written in Latex). Therefore, the
UserGuide for freefoam had to be re-written (using asciidoc) in order to
adapt it for freefoam. In addition, the UserGuide.pdf provided by
OpenCFD is now issued under the Creative Commons
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

I think, the freefoam package will fit in:
- Chemistry: used for chemical engineering: mixing, reactive flows
- Engineering: (petro)chemical flows, heat transfer, aero-and
hydrodynamics (avionics, ships)
- Meteorology(-dev): for example, it is (going to be) used for studies
on energy turbine / windmill parks at sea and the effects on the
Atmospheric Boundary Layer
- Physics: used for studies on turbulence, boundary layers etc.
- Simulations

I filed a RFS: FreeFOAM bug against the sponsorship-requests package.
Its bug number is: #676620

Gerber