Re: Fan control (and power-saving in general) on Dell Inspiron Studio 153x

Hi Joe,

On Tue, 2012-04-03 at 12:09 -0700, Joe Emenaker wrote:
> So, I multi-boot my Dell Inspiron Studio 1537 with Windows 7, Debian,
> and Backtrack (which is based on Ubuntu, which is based on Debian)...
>
> Windows 7 gets the best battery life out of all of them. I've tried to
> get better fan control and sensor data in Debian, but, as I recall, the
> prober from lm-sensors never seems to find a way to control my fans,
> etc. And, on Backtrack, the fans are on pretty high constantly. As a
> result, my battery life is noticeably worse with Debian and Backtrack.
>
> Can anyone share any secrets or tips they have with getting better fan
> control or cpu-throttling or battery life on this line of Dell Inspiron
> Studio's (the 153x, series)?

This is not specific to Debian or any distribution, try "Laptop Mode
Tools" [1], also here [2] you can find reach set of general advises for
better power management under linux.

Happy tweaking,
Ivan

[1] http://samwel.tk/laptop_mode/